Legal Team/Minutes/2017-10-12

From SPDX Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendees

  • Bradlee Edmondson
  • Alexios Zavras
  • Steve Winslow
  • Mark Gisi
  • Phil Odence
  • Paul Madick
  • Jilayne Lovejoy
  • Kate Stewart
  • Gary O’Neall
  • John Sullivan
  • Bradley Kuhn

Agenda

1) XML update & next steps

  1. need to finish last few “old” PRs (handful of Cecil versions) —> JL to look at Cecil for review; Alexios to fix list tags
  2. then Gary to run XML clean-up to replace old tags with what we decided on. He'll plan on doing this on Tuesday, so please no one make any changes to the XML repo on Tuesday and Gary will post on the mailing list when he's done
  3. then add new licenses/exceptions since last release; will need to be added manually at the moment - NEED VOLUNTEER
    1. Kris’ tool did conversion but uses old tags and command line, so this won't be useful here/going forward. It would be good to have a conversion tool of some kind for new licenses going forward: can someone volunteer to work on this?
  4. add FSF free/libre license designation
    1. Gary to add to schema, will use XML tag: isFSFfree
    2. Kate has spreadsheet of licenses; FSF to review
    3. NEED VOLUNTEER to add XML tag to relevant license from list
    4. display of this in license list table will follow OSI Approved? format with a Y or blank; column heading = "FSF free/libre list?" or "FSF libre list?" depending on spacing
    5. display on individual license pages: add "OSI Approved License" and "FSF-recognized free/libre license" where relevant; display of text will be conditional (nothing for those license that don't apply): Gary to add this to web page generator tooling; Alexios and Jilayne to help with HTML formatting
  5. Gary to run another preview of web conversion; all review - make any changes, updates as needed to web conversion tools
  6. work on any needed changes to webpages and spec:
    1. move matching guidelines to Appendix II of spec with updates related to XML as needed (then remove webpage, redirect to page in spec). Kate logged issue in spec, Jilayne to work on
    2. overview webpage needs to be minor updates in description of fields, rest is probably fine - should this be in spec or on webpage? TBD, keep in consideration when looking at other updates
  7. documentation for Github repo (how to request a new license, log issues, etc.) I think someone started this, need to find draft??
  8. when ready to switch we move content from XML repo to the master https://github.com/spdx/license-list
    1. what happens to issues and pull requests from XML repo? and ones existing in license-list repo? Does XML repo remain but abandoned? more research on functionality of Github for this kind of thing needed

2) EPL-2.0 and “assembly exception issue

  • follow Philippe’s suggestion for adding new exception with full text, pending confirmation with Wayne
  • using parenthesis - started to discuss how this is defined in spec, and how used with EPL-2.0 situation, but ran out of time, so discussion moved to mailing list