From SPDX Wiki
July 16, 2019
- Steve Winslow
- Gary O’Neall
- Alexios Zavras
- Krys Nuvadga
- Paul Madick
- Philippe Ombredanne,
- Rohit Lodha
- Tanjong Smith
- Vladimir Sitnikov
- Uday Korlimarla
- Kate Stewart
Recording available at https://zoom.us/recording/share/i586KdwLMoj7_2RfgvIC3iTRls81Y0rQl3ohnp9kGoqwIumekTziMw
- Tanjong - promotion to license repository method, questions and suggestions welcomed for the namespace repository.
- Tushar - some suggestions about code give
- Uday and Philippe – Ndip has made good progress so far, shared info about data stats. Working prototype is there. Ndip - dealing with flooding.
- Rohit - student is a bit behind, but seems to be catching up.
- Philippe - ahead of schedule for original plan. Working on enhancements to python library.
- Krys - .pdf/html documentation - students making good progress. Internal links in .pdf now work. Natish working on language conversion, but some snags. Wordpress library plugin template going well.
Tech and Legal SPDX call
- Workflow: Monitoring issues – bot teams monitor both sets of issue?
- Recommend subscribing both, tagging technical issues in legal, and visa version.
- Use filter listed of topics from tags.
- This call will be used for figuring out from the filtered list.
Legal team issue to discuss with tech team
- We have short form identifier format for licenses in source code.
- Should there be something similar for copyright notices. No prescribed format, but here is a prefix that can be used to find them. FSFE reuse version has proposed “SPDX-Copyright:”, lengthy discussion in github https://github.com/spdx/spdx-spec/issues/122. Concerns from legal side, implying that SPDX has a copyright in it, or the format is recommended by SPDX, and other things that the legal team was ok with. More comfort to the exact tag used in SPDX specification - SPDX-FileCopyrightText: <copyright notice>
- Instructs someone reading the code that plops into the specific name.
- Call - one way to add SPDX information inside files - then use exact tag name as defined in the spec.
- Philippe: concerns about asking for structured copyright information is only value of adding SPDX-Copyright.
- Steve: Legal concern does not want to prescribe one format over another, so not sure that SPDX project should be doing this.
- Philippe: Don’t see why we shouldn’t follow https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep5/#copyright-field
Since change is lets do it right, regex, any generic is fine. Broader discussion.
- Vladimir: could SPDX-Copyright:… reference a file?
- Gary: If the FileCopyrightText is in an SPDX document, it could reference a file. For this proposal, the tag would be in the file itself. Tools could then generate a valid SPDX document from the source file parseable information.
- SPDX-Fieldname:value - will have some places where it won’t make sense.
- Does it make sense to indicate which ones actually make sense?
- Alexios - just an indication want to share information, rather than authorative.
- Gary - makes sense to go through the specific level fields, does this field make sense. The follow are ones that have been discussed and may be in use.
- Probably a good idea to make up a table. Explain why not identifer, checksum, etc.
- Agree to put Files & Packages fields, and put information in table on the ones that make sense, and an explanation of for the ones that don’t.
- reviewed GSoC project https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#5604490302980096
- need to be registered vs -. do not need.
- possibly make a fully currated for the registered list.
- Do we have fully uncurrated - first come, first serve, be their name on official list of spdx list promoted registry.
- Philippe - understand legal concern, but intent is just to have known strings being used as prefix. With ok with no registry.
- Gary - project proposal was already agreed by technical and legal. Change nature of considerations to what can we do to make this sucessful, and implementable processes.
- Alexios - separate registry of namespaces from registry licenses. Don’t see this easy to be automated - we need namespace registry.
- Gary follow up call? Yes, proposing when Legal team spot would be this thursday.
- Philippe willing to pilot namespaces about Namepace for ClearlyDefined & ScanCode.