THE SPDX WIKI IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. ALL CONTENT HAS BEEN MOVED TO https://github.com/spdx
Technical Team/Use Cases/2.0/Patch provider provides patch subject to existing SPDX data of project
From SPDX Wiki
< Technical Team | Use Cases/2.0
- Title: Patch provider provides patch subject to existing SPDX data of project
- Primary Actor: Patch Provider
- Goal in Context: To indicate the licensing the patch is licensed subject to the specific SDPX data of the project.
- Committer simply wants his patch to have licensing information matching the project its applied to.
- The project to which the patch applies has existing SPDX data to refer to.
- Stakeholders and Interests:
- Patch Provider:
- To communicate that the patch should be licensed the same way as the overall project it's contributed to by referencing the projects SPDX data.
- Upstream maintainers:
- To be able to document the license information for the patches they receive
- To have a paper trail of the licensing information for their project.
- To have their licenses respected
- Third party patch appliers (think Yocto):
- To be able to know whether or not they have licensing issues when they apply a patch to upstream.
- Consumers of upstream source:
- To receive accurate and clear information of licensing of upstream source
- To be able to comply easily with licenses for upstream source
- To be able to subset, extend, or aggregate artifacts and pass on clear authoritative verifiable license for the resulting new copyrightable artifacts.
- Patch Provider:
- Main Success Senario: Patch supplier communicates that their patch is licensed matching the SPDX data specified for the project.
- Failed End Condition: Patch supplier doesn't communicates inaccurate incomplete licensing information for their patch.
- Creation of a patch